By Carl Honore
Family life is very important to our wellness and work performance. Try being effective at work if you show up with family burdens on your shoulders, if your children are sick or out of control, or if you and your partner are constantly arguing.
The biggest lie that most busy people tell themselves is that one day they will make enough money, slow down and have time for their family. The truth is that no one can ever be successful in life or business if they do not have the support and love of their family.
Have you ever noticed how the best and most successful athletes in the world always have their family in the crowd watching? Why?
It’s because the unconditional love and support of our family give us the courage to do and try anything without fearing failure and this is critical to our sense of security and order. The challenge of modern-day living has brought dysfunction into family life.
In some cases, family life has become toxic and a source of emotional stress and anxiety. Parents are struggling with pressure at work, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, financial pressure from over-consumption, and too much exposure to digital and social media.
As a result, parents are:
- Feeling rushed with no time to communicate effectively.
- Feeling confused about what parenting tools to use.
- Over-parenting to compensate.
- Projecting what we want onto our children instead of honouring their uniqueness.
- Using fear and guilt to get them to cooperate. For example, did you know that “scaring” our children into eating well or making them feel guilty for eating junk food does more emotional harm than physical good?